Monday, June 25, 2012

Grilled Peaches & Cream

With the 4th of July right around the corner; I wanted to share this easy recipe with you.  It's quick, delicious, and virtually impossible to mess up (always an important factor when I'm cooking)!  Peaches are one of my favorite fruits; but for some reason I am absolutely awful at picking out a decent one.  No matter how hard I try to pick a sweet, ripe and juicy peach; almost every time I slice it open it's either rotten inside or not even close to being ripe.  This is why I made the switch to cooking them...so far I've had a 100% success rate!
In this recipe I used vanilla extract; because I didn't have any bourbon at my house.  If you want bourbon glazed peaches; omit the nutmeg, add in about 1-ounce shot of bourbon (or ~2 Tbsp) and cut the vanilla to half.




GRILLED PEACHES & CREAM

  • 2 peaches; cut in half with the seed removed
  • 1 pat of butter melted (~1 teaspoon)
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
*Serve peaches with a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or vanilla frozen yogurt; and garnish with a sprinkling of dry rolled oats & sliced almonds.
Directions:
Preheat your grill to medium heat.  Slice & remove seeds from peaches; arrange over a piece of non-stick foil with the edges of the foil raised up (picture above).  In a tiny bowl or ramekin mix together melted butter, sugar, vanilla & nutmeg.  Rub sugar mixture over peaches & place on the lower rack of your grill to cook.  Close the grill lid (you don't need to cover the peaches) & cook for about 5 or 6 minutes over medium heat; flipping each slice over about halfway through.  Remove from the grill, place two peach halves on a plate, and reserve the juices leftover in the foil.  Serve with a scoop of low fat vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or frozen yogurt and drizzle the reserved juices over the top.  Garnish with sliced almonds, and/or dried rolled oats.  You can also toast & lightly brown the dried oats and almonds in a skillet before garnishing.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I grill like this quite a bit. Great, easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete